Saturday, February 3, 2007

Dish Racks

First of all, is that one word, or two?

Dishracks? Or Dish Racks?

I'm gonna go with the latter...

Not that it matters...

Come to think of it though, do people more commonly refer to them as DRYING racks?

Whatever. I don't. Drying rack sounds so very...Amish.

ANYWAY...I digress. More to the point, is anyone else as annoyed by these as I am?

These annoying little buggars sit on the edge of your sink as holding places for those dishes that need to be dried but cannot be put into the dishwasher.

I gotta say though, they're not very effective holding areas. Specifially for bowls. Sure, they have space for the dishes and the silverware and the glasses, but what about the bowls? Sure, you can lean the bowls haphazardly up against one another, but they don't fit correctly. I would like my bowls to fit correctly into the freakin' dish rack! Why is this so much to ask? Over the how many years that dish racks have been manufactured, has no one ever said, "Hm...how can we make this more convenient? How can we make them more useful? How can we add a space so peoples' bowls fit correctly?"

WHY HAS NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS????

I suppose the only reason I'm particularly irked by this is because we don't have a dishwasher at our house.

I know. I'll wait for your initial shock and gasping noises to stop before proceeding with my story.

Okay. We never have had a dishwasher.

This has never been an issue for me, really.

I was never ashamed of this fact. I didn't stop inviting friends over so they wouldn't find out my dirty little secret. I didn't know it was a point of embarrassment.

Truth is, I don't understand the point of the dishwasher.

Washing dishes isn't a tough chore. Seriously. I actually find it rather soothing to be honest with you. And I don't understand why people whine about having to "hand-wash" their dishes. Why is this so difficult for some people? It truly takes 5-10 minutes max to do them...and doing them by hand probably gets them much cleaner than sticking them in the dishwasher would.

I've come to despise dishwashers. When I'm visiting my sister I find it ridiculous that they put in a load of dishes to run for an hour, making a heck of a racket, wasting all kinds of energy, and taking much longer than it would if you filled the sink up with dish liquid and did it by hand.

HOW IS THIS MORE CONVENIENT?

Yeah, I get it. We're lazy. Why do dishes when the machines can do it for you?

But back to the whole dish rack thing...all I want is a dish rack that provides room for bowls too. Nice, wide slots to place bowls in...followed by nice narrow ones for plates...those hangy things for the glasses and a basket for the silverware.

I haven't found one of these yet.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Maybe I need to invent one myself.

But alas, I'm pretty sure it would be obsolete in this "Dishwasher Driven" society we live in.

3 comments:

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Froyd said...

you're back! huzzah!

Joel said...

lets invent one that has a bowl placement. with that we will be rich i tell you RICH!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA